Hubby and I decided to open a Target credit card when we bought our Dyson vacuum cleaner because we wanted the initial 10% off discount since we were making such a large purchase. I figured we would cancel the card it right after that but we decided to wait a few months and actually use it to see if it would benefit us. And it does, it's a small benefit but I think its worth it because we are saving money. The benefit - frequent 10% off Target coupons. Since opening the card in May, we have gotten two 10% off coupons. How's that possible? Because we do about 95% of our household shopping at our Super Target.
They way the card works is you get one point for every dollar you spend at Target (or every two dollars you spend somewhere else) when using your Target Visa card. Once you get to 1,00o points you get a 10% off coupon. I save the coupon for a day when I know we are going to have a big trip so we save more money.
This works for us because -
1) We shop at Target so frequently that we would be stupid not to take advantage of a discount
2) Hubby is a great "banker" and keeps strict records so we factor the Target bill into our budget each month so we don't overspend
3) Probably the most important thing - we pay it off each month!
The reason we've been getting the coupons so frequently is because -
1) Anytime we go to Target or the grocery store we put the purchases on the Target card to earn points
2) Any bigger purchases (usually over $100) we put on the Target card to get the points
I recommend this for anyone who fits any of the reasons I listed above.