Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Me and my cousin dancing. She taught me how to do a Portuguese dance.
A shot of all the ladies dancing
My Aunt Gloria and grandmother
My mom, me, Cass, and Aunt Gloria
Isn't my grandfather the cutest! He was cold so my aunt put her jacket on him.
P90X is my favorite lunchtime workout. One of my colleagues purchased this DVD set a few weeks ago and ever since then we have been doing the work outs twice a week. The set includes 12 very intense workouts (some cardio, some weight training) most of them are about 50 minutes long. Included in the set are the following work outs-
1. Chest and Back - This superset chest-and-back-blasting workout emphasizes two classic upper-body exercises, push-ups and pull-ups, to build strength and develop shape. The combination of these two push and pull movements will help you burn loads of calories while simultaneously attacking, strengthening, and developing multiple muscle groups.
2. Plyometrics - Get ready to go airborne. With over 30 explosive jumping moves, you won't be spending much time on the ground during this highly intense cardio routine. Plyometrics, also known as jump training, has been proven to dramatically improve athletic performance. If your sport involves a ring, rink, field, court, or track, then this training will give you the edge. Just be prepared to "Bring It" for a full hour when you leap into this workout, because there is no letting up.
3. Shoulders and Arms - Nothing rounds out the perfect physique like a pair of well-defined arms and shoulders, and with its potent combination of pressing, curling, and fly movements, this routine will leave you feeling stronger and looking sexier. Whether you want to build muscle mass or just slim and tighten what you've already got, these targeted shoulder and arm exercises will get you the results you want.
4. Yoga X - Yoga is a vital part of any fitness regimen, and is an absolute must for an extreme program like P90X. This routine combines strength, balance, coordination, flexibility, and breath work to enhance your physique and calm your mind. Yoga X will leave you feeling energized, invigorated, and maybe even a little enlightened.
5. Legs and Back - Get ready to squat, lunge, and pull for a total-body workout like no other. While the main focus of this workout lies in strengthening and developing the leg muscles (quads, hamstrings, glutes, and calves), there's also a handful of great pull-up exercises to give your legs a quick breather while you work the upper body.
6. Kenpo X - Kenpo X was created to give P90X users a high-intensity cardiovascular workout packed with lots of punching and kicking combinations to improve balance, endurance, flexibility, and coordination. During this workout you'll learn some of the most effective ways to defend yourself, while at the same time getting your body in peak condition.
7. X Stretch - Stretching is the one thing that will help you achieve a higher level of athleticism over a longer period of time. The X Stretch routine is an integral part of the program that will help prevent injuries and avoid plateaus. The extensive full-body stretches that make up this routine use disciplines from Kenpo karate, hatha yoga, and various sports to ensure that your body is fully prepared to meet all P90X challenges head-on.
8. Core Synergistics - Each and every exercise in the Core Synergistics workout recruits multiple muscle groups to build and support the core (lumbar spine and trunk muscles), while at the same time conditioning your body from head to toe. Loaded with a variety of fun, unique, and challenging exercises, this routine will get you moving in all directions to maximize your P90X results.
9. Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps - Packed with an array of moves that target both large and small muscles, this workout will do wonders for your upper body. In just one full sequence you'll get a healthy dose of presses, flys, and extensions to push you to the brink. The results will be a stronger, leaner, and highly defined upper torso that will leave you looking awesome, with or without a shirt.
10. Backs and Biceps - With a host of curls and pull-ups, this routine will make it fun to flex those powerful biceps. But don't worry, ladies—by using lighter weight, you can focus on toning and tightening these showcase arm muscles without adding the size that most guys covet. Additionally, this workout will also provide some great back definition that everyone can appreciate. No matter what your goals, you will achieve them in dramatic fashion if you dig in and max out your reps.
11. Cardio X - This low-impact cardio routine can be used in a variety of ways to meet your P90X goals. Use it in addition to your standard P90X workload when you want to burn some extra calories, or as a substitute if your body needs a break from the program's high-impact workouts. Whatever your reason for using Cardio X, you'll find it to be a fun, full-throttle, fat burning workout that will leave you feeling lean and mean.
12. Ab Ripper X - The combination and sequence of movements in this unique workout taps into not only abdominal strength, but true core strength as well. Master these 11 highly effective exercises and you will achieve vital abdominal muscle strength to benefit your overall health and physical performance. You'll also develop that highly coveted 6-pack as you take Ab Ripper X to full throttle. It's extreme work that's better than any machine in any club.
Here's a review of the ones that I have done -
Chest and Back - This was the first one we did. This workout was A LOT of push ups of all different kinds. It was hard to do most of the "back" exercises because we needed to do pull ups and that's impossible to do in our large staff conference room. I used weights but you can also use resistance bands.
Plyometrics - This is a great cardio workout. It is a jumping workout and pretty high impact. I definitely felt it in my legs the next day.
Legs and Back - It a great way to tone your legs (especially thighs). Lots of lunges and squats. I used resistance bands but wished I would have used weights. You can use either but I think it is more effective to use free weights.
Kenpo X - Another great cardio workout. It is very similar to the Billy Blanks Taebo workout. Lots of punching and kicking. I was super sore after this workout...but it was a good sore.
Ab Ripper X - This is an INTENSE 20 minute ab workout. I wish I owned this DVD because I would do this every day. It is amazing.
Still love Favorite Thing #41 and it tops my favorite movies of all time. If you haven't seen it I definitely recommend you rent it. The soundtrack is amazing too.
Monday, March 30, 2009
...for a new vacuum cleaner. We need a pretty strong vacuum cleaner because I shed EVERYWHERE. It's really bad and I can't help it but my hair is everywhere. So I need a vacuum that can withstand picking up my hair all the time. Ideally I would get a Dyson vacuum but they are just too pricey. I keep checking Woot but haven't found any deals. So do any of you ladies out there have a affordable recommendation or know where I can get a great deal on a Dyson?
Mossimo Black Double Frame Clutch comes in purple and bone online. It's $14.99 and from I can tell has all the same things that the Hobo International clutch has but for a fraction of the price. It also appears as though it is available in stores so there may be other colors available. Next Target trip I make will be spent looking at the clutches and may be adding a few new ones to my collection.
Square Chip and Dip (I use this mainly for veggies and fruit)
Chip and Dip (I have this in a different pattern)
I still use Favorite Thing #40 - Bath and Body Works Wallflowers and give them as gifts all the time. I think it really is the best way to keep your house smelling fresh. I will say that I NEVER buy the them full price. Bath and Body Works always has sales going on.
Saturday, March 28, 2009
Friday, March 27, 2009
Two Gift Idea Fridays in a row...I am on a roll. This gift is a great gift for the upcoming engagement/wedding season. These are super cute candlesticks that are perfect for that special couple. A friend of mine got them as an engagement gift and she loves them. They are twist candlesticks that are like arms linked in love and make a statement of affection. They can be displayed either together or separately. It comes with with two 10-inch dripless, smokeless ivory candles and each candlestick measures 2 2/2" x 10" high. The candlesticks are on sale right now for $39.95 and you can get 6% cash back from your purchase through Ebates.
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Still love and use Favorite Thing #39 - Hobo clutch. I give credit to my dear friend Margaret who introduced me to this wonder clutch. I use this ALL the time. It's perfect for a night out because it hold almost everything I need. I also use this a lot on business travel. When I travel on business I almost always carry on and a lot of the airlines are strict with their two bag policy. I have my lap top bag and my suitcase so the clutch is perfect to use because it holds what I need and fits in my bag.
One of my favorite bloggers (and founder of La Belle Vie online book club), Jane at In the waiting line, is having a 100th post giveaway and it is a super cute giveaway! She is giving away a pink and green tweed wine carrier for two. It includes the pink & green tweed carrier, 2 wine glasses, a wine stopper, a corkscrew and 2 cotton napkins. You have until March 31st at 5pm to enter so make sure you do.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Me and my friend Shannon (it was her birthday on Monday so it was a great way to celebrate)
Britney coming down from the ceiling and opening the show with Circus.
This was one of the times Britney actually sang. She sang the Justin song - Everytime
The cabinet under my bathroom sink. I have a basket to hold my blowdryer, flat iron, etc. and a three shelve plastic container (which I have had for over 5 years) that has all my makeup. The container seperates my makeup into lips, eyes, all over face and I have my perfume on top of it.
This is the medicine cabinet. I keep all my face stuff, daily hair stuff, and a variety of other items.
With the warm weather comes grilling season. There are two reasons why grilling out is Favorite Thing #138 - 1) I don't have to cook (my hubby takes care of all the grilling) and 2) I eat much healthier. I got my hubby a very nice grill as my wedding gift to him so he loves using it and I will grill all spring/summer and into the fall. I've written about some of my favorite grilling things in the past (Favorite Thing #61 and Beer Can Chicken). I thought I would share a great marinade recipe (Thanks April) that can be used for almost anything! We mainly use it for chicken and vegetables. It's great for making kebabs.
⅔ cup olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
5 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp. salt
lots of fresh pepper
½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. thyme
½ tsp. basil
pinch of rosemary
Mix all ingredients together. Marinade should sit with protein or vegetables for at least two hours or as long as overnight.
I must admit I haven't made Favorite Thing #38 in long time. It's tough on a weeknight to do a side dish that takes more than two steps. So instead I make broil broccoli on a cookie sheet. I toss the broccoli in olive oil, salt, pepper, onion salt, and garlic and then I put it on a cookie sheet in the oven at 425 - 450 until the its gets crispy. It's super yummy. Thanks again to my sister-in-law April for another great recipe.
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Favorite Thing #137 is one of the blogs that I frequent most often. Gigi's Gone Shopping is a great blog because she does a lot of the shopping for you. She goes to all of my favorite stores tries on clothes (some I really want and others that I wouldn't have thought to try on) and gives us real life pictures and reviews. I love it because I do a majority of my shopping online so when I see her reviews it helps me better gauge what things will look like. Thank you Gigi for making my online shopping easier!
Still love Favorite Thing #37. Unfortunately I recent wore through my pair of BCBG pumps so I don't have any in my closet. :( I have so many different pairs of black shoes in my closet that I am going to wait till I really need a pair of black pumps and then I will be sure to buy these.